Pages

Thursday, 21 February 2019

Sundials - Maths

Sundial

For the past Two weeks my class Ay have been working on a sundial. When we were making the sundial we had to get a peace of wood that was long and thin. Once we got that we had to put the numbers down for the sundial. Next we drilled the holes for the wooden stick so that we can tell the time. Lastly we put in the stick for the time and colored it in. That was how Micheal, Rykin and I made our sundial.


1. Did you know the earliest sundials known from the archaeological record are shadow clocks www.wiki.

2. Did you know the orbit of the Earth is not perfectly circular and its rotational axis is not perpendicular to its orbit. The sundial's indicated solar time thus varies from clock time by small amounts that change throughout the year www.wiki. 


3. Did you know that sundial have been used since the 16th century www.wiki.


I have learnt the person that has made the sundial his name was Theodosius.

What have you learnt? - I have learnt that the stick of the sundial has a name it is called the gnomon.

What you found fun? - I found it fun drilling the hole so the gnomon can fit in. 

What I found difficult? - The thing I found difficult was measuring the hole and numbers.

What would I do different? - I was do a circle instead of a square because it is better when measuring. 


This is a presentation that I have worked on for ideas for other ways on telling the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI0GqYJha1Q
Here is a video you can watch to learn more about sundials. 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. H3ll0 There Its Nathan
    I really like how you put videos in your post and a lot of pictures that is about your sundial and I like how you made your sundial with lots of photos but maybe next time you could explain what a gnomon is
    thank you .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi good post I like how you put alot of work into this post but the it may of been better if you put the video in the slide show.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Hi it's Camryn next time make the words bigger and anyways i really
    like your awesome work that you and your group mad

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Something helpful - add more info or ask me a question.
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.